Early work activities for the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project have reached the point where a continuous lane shift is poised to take effect late next week along I-95 southbound between the current bridge and the Rte. 332/Newtown/Yardley interchange (Exit 49).
The lane shift will be to the outside of the roadway, where the shoulders were strengthened in recent weeks to carry highway-speed traffic on a regular basis. Once in effect, the resulting travel lanes will be slightly narrower with concrete along the entire left lane and at warranted locations on the right side.
The new travel configuration will remain in effect for an extended period, allowing for work in the highway median that will widen the roadway from two travel lanes to three travel lanes. A similar traffic shift in the northbound direction is expected to be put in place at a yet-to-be determined date later in July.
Elsewhere in the 4.4 mile project area, the following travel restrictions are scheduled to be implemented after the Independence Day weekend travel period ends on the morning of July 5:
- I-95 north PA – Single lane pattern I-95 south PA – single-lane travel pattern from the Rte. 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) to the Scudder Falls Bridge OFFPEAK 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. (following day) Wednesday, July 5, through Friday, July 7.
- I-95 south PA – Single-lane travel patterns from the bridge to the Rte. 332/Newtown-Yardley interchange (Exit 49) OVERNIGHT 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. (following day) Wednesday, July 5 through Friday, July 7. Long-term shift of travel lanes to the outside of the roadway scheduled to begin Thursday, July 6.
- River Road/Route 32, Lower Makefield, PA – short-term alternating single-lane travel patterns with flaggers 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, July 5 to Friday, July 7.
New Jersey side
- Route 29 south – single-lane pattern at I-95 interchange (Exit 1) OVERNIGHT 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. (following day) Friday, July 7.
- Route 175/River Road – OFF-PEAK alternating single-lane traffic pattern controlled by flaggers daytime and early evenings 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., and OVERNIGHT full closures in vicinity of I-95 overpass 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (following day) Wednesday, July 5, through Sunday, July 9. Note: On-ramp to I-95 will be inaccessible during the overnight closure periods; affected motorists should follow the posted detour routes.
Note: The scheduled restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, and traffic considerations
Motorists are urged to reduce speeds and exercise caution when traveling through active work zones.
Due to changing travel patterns, narrower lane configurations and possible traffic queuing at some locations, motorists are encouraged to allow extra time to reach their destinations when traveling I-95 through the project work zone.
More information and videos on the bridge replacement project are available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.