EWING, NJ – The northbound and southbound connector lanes between the roundabouts at the I-295/NJ Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) near the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge are scheduled to be closed during weeknight hours over the next two weeks, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The traffic restrictions will primarily affect Route 29 SB motorists using the highway for travel toward Trenton and other points south. But the lane closures also will affect some motorists who use the interchange’s roundabouts for connections between some of the entry and exit ramps serving both directions of I-295 and Route 29. Five travel movements at the interchange will be affected in total. Detours will be posted for each affected travel movement. (COLOR CODED DETOUR MAPS CAN BE FOUND VIA THE LINKS BELOW)
The new weeknight travel restrictions are planned to be in effect 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Mondays through Fridays. The restrictions will enable project work crews to remove wooden planking that was installed beneath the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge’s upstream span during construction in 2018 and 2019. The planking protected vehicles passing beneath the bridge’s girders during the installation of the span’s road deck.
After removal, workers will then install the wooden planking on the lower side of the new downstream bridge currently under construction across the river. This will allow for the safe installation of steel pans, rebar, and concrete in the coming months on that new span. That second bridge is currently scheduled to open during late summer 2021.
These five travel movements to be affected at the interchange are as follows:
- Route 29 SB approaching the I-295 interchange – Before the interchange, bear right onto Route 175/Upper River Road, proceed to the stop sign at the intersection of West Upper Ferry Road, turn right onto Route 175/West Upper Ferry Road, proceed to the traffic light at Route 29, and turn left on the signal onto Route 29 SB toward Trenton and other points south. Map Magenta (CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAGENTA DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Detour: Continue past the Exit 76 ramp and proceed on I-295 SB for three miles to the Scotch Road interchange and Exit 73A; follow the loop off ramp onto Scotch Road, cross I-295 while keeping right to take the loop on-ramp for I-295 NB; proceed on I-295 NB back to I-295/Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and take the off ramp for connection with Route 29 NB toward Washington Crossing and Lambertville. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW GREEN DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB Exit Ramp to Route 29 SB (last exit in NJ before crossing Scudder Falls Bridge into Pennsylvania) – Detour: Off the exit, proceed onto Route 29 NB to first full intersection (Bernard Drive) and turn left (signs for Scudder Falls Recreation Area); make the next left onto Route 175/Upper River Road; proceed to the intersection (stop sign) with West Upper Ferry Road; turn right and proceed to the traffic light at the Route 175/Route 29 intersection; on the green signal, make a left turn onto Route 29 SB for travel toward Trenton and other points south. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW ORANGE DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 SB access ramp to I-295 SB for travel toward Princeton and other points south – Prior to the interchange, take the detour for Route 175. Follow the Route 175 signs to the stop sign at the intersection of West Upper Ferry Road, turn right and proceed on Route 175/Upper Ferry Road to the traffic light at Route 29. Make a right turn onto Route 29 NB and proceed in the left lane to the roundabout access ramp for I-295 SB. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW YELLOW DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 NB entry ramp to I-295 WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge – Approaching the interchange, keep left and follow the ramp for entry onto I-295 SB toward Princeton; proceed on I-295 SB for three miles to the Scotch Road interchange (Exit 73A), follow the loop off ramp onto Scotch Road, cross I-295 while keeping right to take the loop ramp for entry onto I-295 NB for travel onto Scudder Falls Toll Bridge and entry into Pennsylvania where I-295 NB becomes I-295 . (CLICK HERE TO VIEW BLUE DETOUR MAP)
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.