EWING, NJ – A new phase of Scudder Falls Toll Bridge construction next week will necessitate off-peak single-lane travel patterns in the Pennsylvania-bound direction on the current Scudder Falls (I-295) Bridge, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission announced today.
The right lane of I-295 NB approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge from the New Jersey side is scheduled to be closed on up to five mornings – 2 a.m. to approximately noon – Tuesday, March 12, to Saturday, March 16, weather permitting. The lane closures will extend across the current bridge to the Pennsylvania side, allowing a succession of concrete delivery trucks to empty their respective loads onto the road deck of the new toll bridge’s upstream span.
The lane closure will result in only a single lane being open on the bridge for I-295 traffic going from New Jersey to Pennsylvania during mornings when concrete deliveries take place. Motorists are likely to experience traffic backups and travel delays during these periods and they should plan alternative routes or allow extra time to reach their destinations.
The full schedule of lane/ramp closures and detours for next week is as follows:
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB/WB (old I-95 SB) approaching the Scudder Falls Bridge Pennsylvania-bound – Single-lane travel patterns possible 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day) Monday, March 11, through Friday, March 15, 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. (next day). Note: Within these time periods, single-lane travel is likely on the Scudder Falls Bridge for concrete deliveries 2 a.m. to noon Tuesday, March 12, to Saturday, March 16.
- I-295 EB/SB (old I-95 NB) crossing the Scudder Falls Bridge into New Jersey – Intermittent single-lane travel patterns 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) on Monday, March 11, through Friday, March 15.
- I-295/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 76) – The following closures and detours are 24/7 until late June:
- I-295 EB/SB Exit Ramp to Route 29 NB (first exit in NJ after crossing Scudder Falls Bridge from Pennsylvania) – Continue along I-295 SB to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB for return to the Route 29 interchange (Exit 76) and the ramp to Route 29 NB. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW ORANGE DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 SB & NB entry ramps to I-295 NB/WB and PA-bound travel on the Scudder Falls Bridge –Proceed into the downstream roundabout and use the ramp for I-295 SB, follow to Exit 73A (Scotch Road North), use the exit’s loop ramps to make a U-turn onto I-295 NB and travel across the bridge to I-295 WB in Pennsylvania. – (CLICK HERE TO VIEW BLUE DETOUR MAP)
- I-295 NB exit ramp to Route 29 SB (at last exit in NJ) – Proceed across the Scudder Falls Bridge for a U-turn at the Taylorsville Road interchange (Exit 10) in PA, take I-295 SB across the bridge for connection with Route 29 SB via the first NJ exit ramp and the downstream roundabout. (CLICK HERE TO VIEW GREEN DETOUR MAP)
- Route 29 NB bypass roadway – Intermittent short-duration, flagger-controlled stoppages 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 11, to Friday, March 15.
- Route 175/River Road – Intermittent alternating single-lane travel patterns 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 11, to Friday, March 15. ALSO, overnight closures with posted detours Monday, March 11 to Thursday, March 14, 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day); Friday, March 15, 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. (next day); and Saturday, March 16, 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. (next day). Note: On-ramp to I-295 SB will be inaccessible; motorists should access ramp from downstream roundabout off nearby NJ Route 29.
- I-295 EB & WB in the vicinity of the Scudder Falls Bridge – Off-peak single-lane travel patterns possible due to construction/demolition along I-295 on the NJ side of the Scudder Falls Bridge and concrete deliveries Monday, March 11, into Saturday, March 16.
- Taylorsville Road north of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, March 11, to Friday, March 15.
- Taylorsville Road south of I-295 – Intermittent single-lane patterns with possible flagger-controlled travel 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 11, to Friday, March 15.
- Woodside Road – Intermittent right or left lane closures with passage maintained in each direction and/or flagging-controlled travel 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, March 11, to Friday, March 15.
- PA Route 32/River Road – Intermittent alternating traffic controlled by flaggers 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, March 11, to Friday, March 15.
Weekends: Aside from any Friday overnight travel restrictions extending into Saturdays, the overnight restrictions at NJ Route 175/River Road, and the uninterrupted 24/7 ramp closures on the upstream side of the I-295/Route 29 interchange, no other lane closures and detours are scheduled for the weekends of March 9-10 and 16-17.
Canal Towpaths near the Scudder Falls Bridge:
NJ side – UPDATE – Intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath segment in New Jersey have been extended to March 17.
PA side – Intermittent weekday closures of the Delaware Canal towpath segment in Pennsylvania until March 20.
The aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergency, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization considerations. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, and to reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.